bateau à fond de verre

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by crabette, Dec 30, 2016.

  1. crabette New Member


    sauriez-vous s'il existe un mot anglais pour désigner un "bateau à fond de verre", ou bien comment le traduire au plus juste ?

    merci beaucoup :)
  2. normanok Member

    French French
    Je pense que "glass bottom boat" est le terme adéquat.
    Si vous allez sur Google avec "glass bottom boat", vous verrez une infinité de pubs pour des tours, un peu partout dans le monde.
  3. crabette New Member

    super merci beaucoup :)
  4. broglet

    broglet Senior Member

    English - England
    je pense que "glass-bottomed boat" est un peu plus anglais anglais
  5. sound shift

    sound shift Senior Member

    Derby (central England)
    English - England
    I would have thought so too, but google ngram suggests that this is not the case: Google Ngram Viewer
  6. moustic Senior Member

    near Limoges
    British English
    Glass-bottomed boat? Yes. That makes three of us!
    I'll admit to being a BE speaker of a certain age.
  7. sound shift

    sound shift Senior Member

    Derby (central England)
    English - England
    Same here.
  8. wildan1

    wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)

    Then there is a slight difference in terms between BE and AE, in the latter the usual term is glass-bottom boat (always spelled with a hyphen).
  9. Nicomon

    Nicomon Senior Member

    Français, Québec ♀
    I'm not native, but i also would have said/thought : glass-bottomed, the "ed" being the « à » of the French.
    À fond de verre = with a glass bottom so... glass-bottomed.

    Adding the hyphen in both cases, I got different results than sound shift on the Ngram Viewer
    But then if you change the corpus from British English to American English, you get these results

    Which seems to show that wildan is right about the difference in terms between BE and AE. ;)
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2017

Share This Page