Bathing, swimming, or ?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Hutschi, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Hutschi

Hutschi Senior Member

Hi,

what is the proper word when you want to relax in a swimming pool or in the sea at a beach, but without swimming? Just going into the water?

German "baden" and English "bathing", "take a bath" seem to be false friends in this context.

"Take a swim" - is this only used for swimming?

2. clairenz Member

New Zealand - English
    I don't think english has a commonly used word for this other than "swim"... "bathe" is slightly archaic

3. JamesM

JamesM Senior Member

If you don't go very deep into the water, you could say you wanted to wade in the ocean/pool. I believe this usually means going in no deeper than your waist. We also say "take a dip in the pool/ocean" which does not necessarily mean that you will swim.

4. stezza Banned

english
    In this part of the world we use 'paddle' or 'paddle about in the water'.

5. Hutschi

Hutschi Senior Member

Thank you. This helps a lot to better understand the language.

6. GuitarMaestro Senior Member

Tucson, Arizona
    USA English
    In the US, "going for a swim" does not necessarily mean that you will actually swim. You could also say "take a dip."

7. JamesM

JamesM Senior Member

Paddle about means that you do not swim?

8. stezza Banned

english
    To paddle generally implies that your feet or legs get wet but that you remain standing at all times - at least this is the meaning it has for me. Other antipodeans may not agree.

9. winklepicker

winklepicker Senior Member

Kent
    English (UK)
    Yes. Bathing and bathing are two separate (BE) words: bay-thing = old-fashioned for swimming; bar-thing current for having a bath (to wash). Typically for English, they are spelt exactly the same...