bathroom blues

hushhush77

cantonese
Hi,

Can anyone tell me the meaning of bathroom blues? Two girls are talking about how to be beautiful and thin.

A: not even only drinking milk for one month can make us like that!
B: oh! Bathroom blues!

Thank you.

• velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    What's the source of this dialogue, hushhush? Are the girls having this conversation in the bathroom, and what was the topic of discussion - make us like what?

Copyright

American English
    If I were guessing – and I can assure you I am – since drinking only milk for a month, and nothing else, won't make you slim, perhaps the "bathroom blues" is the next step: laxatives and purging (vomiting).

Edit: Clarifying that the diet consists solely of milk.

Last edited:

Barque

Tamil
    No, it's not.

Another possibility - bathrooms have mirrors and people sometimes keep their weighing scales there. It's therefore a room that could remind you of your weight and so give you "bathroom blues". (The word "blues" can mean a depressed mood.)

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I think, Copyright, that "only" drinking milk for a month would probably cause you to lose weight. I interpret it to mean "nothing but milk" for a month. I could be wrong, never having been silly enough to try it.;)

I don't think we have enough hard facts to go on, save that the girls are getting depressed about their bodies, and bathrooms are involved in some way or other.

Copyright

American English
    I think, Copyright, that "only" drinking milk for a month would probably cause you to lose weight. I interpret it to mean "nothing but milk" for a month. I could be wrong, never having been silly enough to try it.;)
    That's the way I meant it, but could have better expressed it, which I'll go do now. And that's how I read the original: an All Milk, Only Milk Diet.

Copyright

American English
    Another possibility - bathrooms have mirrors and people sometimes keep their weighing scales there. It's therefore a room that could remind you of your weight and so give you "bathroom blues". (The word "blues" can mean a depressed mood.)
    Certainly a less messy interpretation than mine, and that sounds very plausible.

< Previous | Next >