bathroom, finished ?

sky753

Chinese
Hello Everyone,

My baby is in the bathroom, urinating. What should I ask using standard spoken US English if he has finished ? Can I just say " finished"?

Thanks and regards.

Sky

• sky753

Chinese
    He's just a baby, and he goes to the bathroom by himself? How old is he?
    That is a good question. He can't go to the bathroom of couse. We, Chinese, usually carry the baby up over a basin or just the toilet, with the sound like the pronoucination of the sh of shine to get him to finish it quickly. And my question is as a matter of fact under such circumstances.

sky753

Chinese
    thank you! Then what about for the adults or teenager ? For example, in my own family, for my 13 year old boy or my wife ? The same expression?

tepatria

Canadian English
    I would not comment on the toileting habits of older people. If you are waiting until they are finished in order to get in, a discreet knock on the door with no comment should work.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Actually, if it's your spouse or your teenager, a knock on the door and a "Hey, hurry up, others need to use the bathroom!" is not out of line. Of course you wouldn't say this to a visitor to your home, or to your elderly parent.

dadane

English (London/Essex)
    Actually, if it's your spouse or your teenager, a knock on the door and a "Hey, hurry up, others need to use the bathroom!"
    :D = "Get a move on, there's a queue out here".

Back to the original question: "Finished"? said to a young child to enquire if their bladder is empty sounds perfectly normal to me.

sky753

Chinese
    :D = "Get a move on, there's a queue out here".

Back to the original question: "Finished"? said to a young child to enquire if their bladder is empty sounds perfectly normal to me.
    Thanks for your reply! and I am waiting to see if there are other opinions about the questons.

sky753

Chinese
    Actually, if it's your spouse or your teenager, a knock on the door and a "Hey, hurry up, others need to use the bathroom!" is not out of line. Of course you wouldn't say this to a visitor to your home, or to your elderly parent.
    According to standard spoken English, Can I use I instead of others in your sentence, e.g. Hey, hurry up, I need to use the bathroom ! If it is me who wants to use the bathroom?

< Previous | Next >