bathroom <fittings>

bernar3

Spanish, Spain
Hello,

How do you call in English the group form by basin, water, bidet and bath? Is there a name that refers to all of them?

I have heard bathroom fittings but I think it refers to taps rather than the basin...

Thank you

• Joobs

Banned
    Glasgow, Scotland - English
    Hello,

How do you call in English the group form by basin, water, bidet and bath? Is there a name that refers to all of them?

I have heard bathroom fittings but I think it refers to taps rather than the basin...

Thank you
    A bathroom suite

and yes fittings would refer to the taps, plugs, etc.

Joobs

Banned
    You might call them "bathroom fixtures," I suppose.
    I believe fixtures as applied to houses refers to fixed items which must legally be sold along with the property. Items like a water tank for instance. These are often labelled as "fixtures and fittings" with the fittings being light fittings, taps, etc.

bibliolept

AE, Español
    I believe fixtures as applied to houses refers to fixed items which must legally be sold along with the property. Items like a water tank for instance. These are often labelled as "fixtures and fittings" with the fittings being light fittings, taps, etc.
    Bathroom suite does seem like a better choice. I would use it if I'm writing a catalog or describing a house for sale; I might not use it in a narration.

JamesM

"Bathroom suite", to me, would sound like a large room or set of rooms devoted to bathroom functions. I wouldn't think of a set of fixtures without some other hint (such as a picture in a catalog, as bibliolept mentioned.) The new, larger tract homes in my area actually have this type of "bathroom suite" as a selling feature (the group of rooms, not the fixtures. )

edit: doing a quick Google search, it looks like Joobs has it nailed. Look at what comes up for "bathroom suite":

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=%22bathroom+suite%22&gbv=2

Joobs

Banned
    Bathroom suite does seem like a better choice. I would use it if I'm writing a catalog or describing a house for sale; I might not use it in a narration.
    Given that all the other queries from b3 seem to be in regard to some sort of building/house renovation work I think its safe to assume he isn't writing a novel. :)

Joobs

Banned
    edit: doing a quick Google search, it looks like Joobs has it nailed. Look at what comes up for "bathroom suite":
    It wasn't a hard one our TV has a plethora of those Home Improvement programmes and they are always going on about changing the Bathroom Suites. :)

bernar3

Spanish, Spain
    Thank you very much, everybody!! "Bathroom suite" was exactly what I was looking for.

< Previous | Next >