(bathroom) half bath / full bath in everyday speech?

< Previous | Next >

takiakos76

Hungarian
Hi!

Among the numerous toilet (BE) vs bathroom (AE) discussions, I've found this thread:
toilet vs. bathroom

The interesting thing to me is this:
"Any small room with only a toilet is a half bath. (That's the amazing part -- the "half bath" doesn't have any bath.)"

How widespread is the usage of this term in everyday conversations? Consider the following scenario: mommy and her son are guests at a friend's house, and they don't know their way around so well. The house has both a full bath bathroom and a half bath somewhere
Boy: 'Mommy, I have to go to the bathroom!'
Mommy: 'OK, go -- but not to the full bath bathroom*, go to the half bath over there!'

Would somebody say that in a real conversation?

Thanks!

• sdgraham

USA English
    Hi!
    The interesting thing to me is this:
    "Any small room with only a toilet is a half bath. "
    Not quite. It normally has a sink as well. (It wuld be unthinkable not to be able to wash one's hands after using the toilet)
    Mommy: 'OK, go -- but not to the full bath bathroom*, go to the half bath over there!'

No, never.

Orble

Australian English
    In Australia the expression is unknown. Real estate agents might say a property has “1.5 bathrooms” and people get the idea, but in ordinary conversation we would never say “half bath”.

Last edited:

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    I've never personally come across the term "half bath" anywhere in BE: for us, it's either a bathroom or it's not. :)

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    The post that mentioned the half bath is this one:

toilet vs. bathroom

I didn't know the term either. Perhaps it belongs to 'estate-agent-speak'. In post #5 of that thread, a 'three-quarters bath' is mentioned too.

takiakos76

Hungarian
    Not quite. It normally has a sink as well. (It wuld be unthinkable not to be able to wash one's hands after using the toilet)

No, never.
    Thanks, sdgraham -- what would the mommy say then if she wanted her son to go to the "little" bathroom that only had toilet (yes, and a sink) in it, and not into the "big" one with the bathtub etc.?
    (I understand that in BE -- as in my mother tongue -- one could simply say 'the toilet', but the AE case is very unclear to me...)

sdgraham

USA English
    Thanks, sdgraham -- what would the mommy say then if she wanted her son to go to the "little" bathroom that only had toilet (yes, and a sink) in it, and not into the "big" one with the bathtub etc.?
    (I understand that in BE -- as in my mother tongue -- one could simply say 'the toilet', but the AE case is very unclear to me...)
    The location or description usually are adequate, e.g.
    "Use the hall bathroom,"
    "Use the guest bathroom."
    I see no need to dwell on the lack of a tub or shower since it's obvious that the little tyke needs to pee. :)

< Previous | Next >