bathroom mat/rug [bath mat / rug ]

Ah_poix_e

Portuguese
Hi all,

What exactly is the difference between a bathroom mat and a bathroom rug?
I understand that a bathroom rug is a quite simply a rug , though it is "designed" to be set on the floor of a bathroom. What about a bathroom mat? Is it the same?

Thank you.

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Bathroom mats and rugs are the same thing. A rug might be deeper/thicker. The word "bathroom" indicates that it will withstand water, dampness, etc.

sdgraham

USA English
    "Mats" in American bathrooms are small and generally of a size to be picked up and draped over something, if desired.

"Rugs" are larger.

kalamazoo

US, English
    I would say "bathmat" not "bathroom mat." To me, a bathmat or should it be a bath mat is a smallish mat that you put next to the tub or shower to step on when you are getting out. A 'rug' is just a rug somewhere in the bathroom and not necessarily next to the tub/shower.

Andygc

British English
    I would say "bathmat" not "bathroom mat." To me, a bathmat or should it be a bath mat is a smallish mat that you put next to the tub or shower to step on when you are getting out. A 'rug' is just a rug somewhere in the bathroom and not necessarily next to the tub/shower.
    Likewise. A bath mat. I've never heard of a "bathroom mat". I've also never heard of a "bathroom rug" - a rug's a rug.

kalamazoo

US, English
    Right, bath mat. I don't know what I was thinking of. I agree that a rug is just a rug but I suppose since one can say 'living room rug' or 'dining room rug' one could also say 'bathroom rug' but it's not a special type of rug -it's just being described by its location in the house.

takiakos76

Hungarian
    Topic: bathroom rug, bath rug
    Added by Cagey, moderator

Hi!

Are both of these expressions in use? Are they interchangeable?
    On walmart.com you can find results for both expressions. (Although bath rug seems to be more prevalent on first look.)
    Google books says that they both exist, but "bathroom rug" is supposed to be used somewhat more often.

Any AE/BE differences here?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    On walmart.com you can find results for both expressions.
    Internet Advertising and Selling 101:

Walmart.com is not a trusted site for learning idiomatic English. Walmart sells stuff. It labels the stuff with as many synonyms as possible, so that Google will link people to its site. The synonyms it uses are written by people with a thesaurus on their desk - the more search terms they can include - even if they are inaccurate - the better it will be for Walmart. :)

takiakos76

Hungarian
    Hi,

as unfortunately my original question, which was about whether you say bathroom rug or bath rug (and not about the difference between bath mats and rugs), has been merged with this thread, I haven't gotten any direct answer to it. :(

Anybody?
    Thank you!

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >