battalion strength

Masis

Bulgarian
He judged that armoured forces were not suited to large formations, and that the Red Army's tanks should supplement rifle divisions in battalion strength.

Hello. Please help me wtih this one. Maybe this mean that the tanks should operate as battalion formations attached to divisions.Am I right?Thanks a lot.

• Halloway

English English
    That is how I read it. However I cannot tell whether each rifle division gets its own tank battalion or one tank battalion supports many rifle divisions.

Waterdash

English (US)
    Well, it does not specify how many tanks should supplement the rifle divisions, so I would say that it probably is at least one tank per rifle division. Also, it did not mention anything about a tank battalion. A battalion is one of the largest subdivisions of an actual division, so I would think the battalion contained the rifle division and the tanks in that battalion.

Masis

Bulgarian
    Thank yoy. This is very interesting opinion. Maybe the author said indeed that this was in battalion level. But it say it in very strange way instedd to say that tanks supplement battalions in rifle divisions.

< Previous | Next >