batter/to batter/battered (fish 'n' chips)

maiabulela

Banned
Arabic-Egypt
"This is a very classic batter for fish and chips"

It is said by the announcer to the viewer as the chef was using a batter to blend wine with some flour.

Can "Fish 'n' chips" here refer to any quick and simple dish??? I can get how the batter can be used for "fish 'n' chips".

• moonglade

English - American
    I'm not a chef, but I've never heard of fish 'n' chips being used to describe anything other than fried battered fish and potato wedges/fries.

maiabulela

Banned
    Arabic-Egypt
    What do you mean by (fried "battered" fish) moonglade??! You mean we can really blend fish by batter?!

Soushie

French - Canada
    The batter here is the thing used to coat fish... isn't it?

bat·ter
    n. A liquid or semiliquid mixture, as of flour, milk, and eggs, used in cooking.

tr.v. bat·tered, bat·ter·ing, bat·ters To coat in batter: battered the vegetables and then fried them.

moonglade

English - American
    Yes, you coat the fish with the batter and deep fry it in oil. It gives the fish a nice, crispy outer layer.

brian

AmE (New Orleans)
    It is said by the announcer to the viewer as the chef was using a batter to blend wine with some flour.

Can "Fish 'n' chips" here refer to any quick and simple dish??? I can get how the batter can be used for "fish 'n' chips".
    What do you mean by (fried "battered" fish) moonglade??! You mean we can really blend fish by batter?!
    I think you have the wrong idea about batter. The word batter refers to the flour (and perhaps other stuff, like seasoning, egg, etc.) which is used to coat/cover fish before frying it.

The word you mean to use here, I think, is whisk - the tool used to blend things together, like flour, eggs, etc., in order to create a batter for the fish, chicken, whatever.

moonglade

English - American
    I think you have the wrong idea about batter. The word batter refers to the flour (and perhaps other stuff, like seasoning, egg, etc.) which is used to coat/cover fish before frying it.

The word you mean to use here, I think, is whisk - the tool used to blend things together, like flour, eggs, etc., in order to create a batter for the fish, chicken, whatever.
    Good catch, Brian.

maiabulela

Banned
    Arabic-Egypt
    YES!!!!!!!!! I really got it wrong!!
    Thanks a lot Brian. I got confused because yes he was blending this mixture with awhisk ... but the English Arabic dictionary defines batter as (whisker) - in one of the meaning - so that , along with the video, was misleading. Thanks a lot you guys. :)

moonglade

English - American
    Chefs could also have whiskers: Helpers who whisk. And, I suppose, waiters who whisk away the food.

Waiter whiskers whisking away the whiskered chef's whiskers' whisks.

Okay that was stupid.

< Previous | Next >