battered industrial charm

amoyzoe

China and Chinese
Hi everyone, I recently skimmed through an NYT news article and I got a question to ask.

"When Ikea, the Swedish furniture giant, announced that it would open one of its trademark big-box stores on the Brooklyn waterfront in Red Hook, many in the area feared that throngs of shoppers would transform and scar a quiet neighborhood possessed of a battered industrial charm."

Can anyone here help me explain the underlined sentence, especially the phrase "battered industrial charm"?
Plus, is the "possessed of" equal to "in possession of" here?

Thank you guys.

• gasman

Canada, English
    An odd sentence indeed, but I think it means that the district, formerly industrial, has now turned into a quiet, rather pleasant place, somewhat different from the norm.

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    Red Hook was originally a shabby 19th C. industrial neighborhood of docks and warehouses, and the homes of those who worked on the docks and in the warehouses. Over time, shipping moved to the other side of the harbor, and the neighborhood was largely empty; the term "battered" would certainly have applied. In recent years it has been "gentrified", with new people moving in and new restaurants opening. It is the new residents (who are the sort who turn former industrial lofts where working people toiled into chic apartments where the well-to-do live) who think of the battered, industrial neighborhood as having "charm", albeit a "battered, industrial charm."

amoyzoe

China and Chinese
    It does make sense. Thank you Greenwhiteblue!

Red Hook was originally a shabby 19th C. industrial neighborhood of docks and warehouses, and the homes of those who worked on the docks and in the warehouses. Over time, shipping moved to the other side of the harbor, and the neighborhood was largely empty; the term "battered" would certainly have applied. In recent years it has been "gentrified", with new people moving in and new restaurants opening. It is the new residents (who are the sort who turn former industrial lofts where working people toiled into chic apartments where the well-to-do live) who think of the battered, industrial neighborhood as having "charm", albeit a "battered, industrial charm."

< Previous | Next >