Batting the beehive

< Previous | Next >

Tenos

Arabic
I was watching one of the episodes in Dexter, the T.V. series. In one of the scenes in episode 10 in season 6 Dexter decides to put posts on the blog of Gellar who is already dead in order to reach for Travis who is the accomplice of Gellar and helped him in carrying out many crimes. So when Dexter is about to do this his father asks him: "Batting the beehive? You sure that's a good idea?" Pls help me to understand what is meant by this sentence

• velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    If you hit at a beehive all the bees will fly out and sting you. The father is saying that it's dangerous to stir up trouble by deliberately provoking Travis.

I don't know whether the expression is a common one but I haven't heard it before. Welcome to the forum!:)

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    It's apparently another way of saying "stirring up a hornets' nest", causing problems, doing something intentionally provocative.
    And Welcome!

Last edited:

Galina1

Russian - Russia
    I was watching one of the episodes in Dexter, the T.V. series. In one of the scenes in episode 10 in season 6 Dexter decides to put posts on the blog of Gellar who is already dead in order to reach for Travis who is the accomplice of Gellar and helped him in carrying out many crimes. So when Dexter is about to do this his father asks him: "Batting the beehive? You sure that's a good idea?" Pls help me to understand what is meant by this sentence
    Tenos, Dexter and Harry use the same expression as early as in episode 4 of season 4. Dexter provokes Zoey Kruger.

< Previous | Next >