Bava del percorso

lyonstea

English - Ireland
Salve,

la prego di tradurre in inglese l'espressione sudetto. Ecco il contesto:

Le merce deve arrivare nelle mani del compratore senza lasciare la bava del percorso......

Io l'ho tradotto come:

the goods must arrive at the buyer without leaving the ........

vi ringrazio

• pandinorombante

Italy - Italian
    Salve,

Le merce deve arrivare nelle mani del compratore senza lasciare la bava del percorso......

Io l'ho tradotto come:

vi ringrazio

Welcome lyonstea,

never forget to point out the context of the sentence you would like to translate! For instance, in this case, it's fundamental to understand what kind of goods we are talking about... :)

nikis

Italian
    Salve,

Io l'ho tradotto come:

vi ringrazio

Direi: leaving the trace

Immagino bava stia per traccia

lyonstea

English - Ireland
    Apologies,

this quote was a extract from the book Gomorra which I am attempting to read in italian. So the goods refer to all material entering and leaving the port of napoli.

thanks

pandinorombante

Italy - Italian
    Apologies,

this quote was a extract from the book Gomorra which I am attempting to read in italian. So the goods refer to all material entering and leaving the port of napoli.

thanks

No problem, lyonstea!

If there's no further reference to any specific goods, I'd go for Nikis' idea, although bava is literally drool and it could be meant as trace.. at least in my opinion. :)

london calling

UK English
    If there's no further reference to any specific goods, I'd go for Nikis' idea, although bava is literally drool and it could be meant as trace.. at least in my opinion. :)
    I think you're right, kiddies!:)

The Authorities can't trace the goods when they change hands, because no traces are left behind to follow.

Don't we call what snails leave behind them "bava", in Italian?

baldpate

UK, English
    Yep! "trace" is definitely the idea. The "bava" the writer has in mind must be like the trail of slime left by a slugor a snail.

The passage in question is talking about the rapidity with which goods pass the through the port, under the buyer's expectation that they arrive in his shop/warehouse immediately, without delay, without the time necessary even to check them.

The goods must reach the buyer without leaving [even] a trace of their passage, ...

pandinorombante

Italy - Italian
    Yep! "trace" is definitely the idea. The "bava" the writer has in mind must be like the trail of slime left by a slugor a snail.

The passage in question is talking about the rapidity with which goods pass the through the port, under the buyer's expectation that they arrive in his shop/warehouse immediately, without delay, without the time necessary even to check them.

The goods must reach the buyer without leaving [even] a trace of their passage, ...

Baldpate, Londoncalling, you gave a new rise to our discussion... and now I have a doubt: what if the goods concerned something illegal?

Thinking of slime as trace could be a clue to interpret the whole message with a completely different perspective... the traffic is illegal, so the goods shouldn't leave any trace behind them... what do you think about?

baldpate

UK, English
    It could well be, pandinorombante - I only glanced at a few lines on-line to get a it more context, but the text immediately following talks about whisking goods through without even time to check them. So it's certainly a possibility - but I think only we Iyonstea can really judge.

pandinorombante

Italy - Italian
    It could well be, pandinorombante - I only glanced at a few lines on-line to get a bit more context, but the text immediately following talks about whisking goods through without even time to check them. So it's certainly a possibility - but I think only we Iyonstea can really judge.

I definitely agree: lyonstea, if you are among us, come up and "turn on the light"! :D

pask46

Italy-italian
    Anyway, given the illegal environment "Gomorra" is about, I think it is highly figurative, but still effective, meaning bava as the trace, but giving a shade of bad and dirty. The trace of an illegal business has to be, if any, a lousy one!

pandinorombante

Italy - Italian
    Anyway, given the illegal environment "Gomorra" is about, I think it is highly figurative, but still effective, meaning bava as the trace, but giving a shade of bad and dirty. The trace of an illegal business has to be, if any, a lousy one!

Pask convinced me fully, I totally go for his explanation! :)

pandinorombante

Italy - Italian
    Wow!
    E' un onore, Pandino...:thumbsup:

Ma quale onore e onore, mi faccia il piacere!! :D :D

Scherzi a parte, sono io che ti ringrazio Pask, non ho capito subito che si sottindeva qualcosa di illegale/losco/marcio, dato il soggetto del libro.. ho il cervello in stand-by! :D

Ciao e grazie ancora, Pask! :)

london calling

UK English
    Baldpate, Londoncalling, you gave a new rise to our discussion... and now I have a doubt: what if the goods concerned something illegal?

Thinking of slime as trace could be a clue to interpret the whole message with a completely different perspective... the traffic is illegal, so the goods shouldn't leave any trace behind them... what do you think about?
    Quite so!:)
    As a matter of fact, it didn't even occur to me that they were talking about the legal importation of goods, given the book the expression comes from! :)
    If you see my interpretation in English, you'll see I wrote Authorities, which could be anything from the Port Authority to the Police or the Carabinieri...! So, as you see, we've interpreted it in the same way.

I've just read the other posts.....we all agree, I see! Great minds think alike...:)

pandinorombante

Italy - Italian
    Quite so!:)
    As a matter of fact, it didn't even occur to me that they were talking about the legal importation of goods, given the book the expression comes from! :)
    If you see my interpretation in English, you'll see I wrote Authorities, which could be anything from the Port Authority to the Police or the Carabinieri...! So, as you see, we've interpreted it in the same way.

I've just read the other posts.....we all agree, I see! Great minds think alike...:)

Parla per te, Jo! (tono scherzoso) :D

Io non mi considero una grande mente come te... non ancora, perlomeno (e in italiano diciamo: devo mangiare ancora tante pagnotte per arrivare al tuo livello)! :D ;)