BBQ Cheese Beast [barbecue]

< Previous | Next >

MaryamSeresht

Persian
Hi,

Do you have any idea about BBQ Cheese Beast? I've searched it in google, but I couldn't find any explanation. I've even searched for Beast as a food, but nothing meaningful was found. I just guess that BBQ is Barbeque.

Her eyes flickered. "Oh, you mean a burger." She trudged to the fridge and showed him how to heat a BBQ Cheese Beast with fries in the microwave.
It's part of "The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry"by Rachel Joyce, British writer.

Thank you.

• JustKate

Perhaps a BE speaker might be more knowledgeable, but it sounds to me as though the writer had just made up a name that sounds like the sort of food (fatty, not nutritious, bad for you, but filling) sold in convenience stores and heated up in the microwaves they provide.

Yes, BBQ is a common abbreviation for "barbecue" - common enough that the misspelling "barbeque" is seen far more than I like.

Hau Ruck

English - U.S.
    Since it's a proper name (capitalized) I'm assuming it's just some name conjured up by the preparer. I think it's just an allude to a barbecue + cheese sandwich with (french) fries.

on a side note: it's nearly lunchtime and I got a bit hungry reading your thread title. :)

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    I think originally it is was a misspelling but is now widely enough (mis)used as to have that "also barbeque" entry in the MW dictionary. I see it all over the place here these days. It seems pretty likely to be backformed from the abbreviation, taking its cue from using the Q to represent the cue. The ngrams show the que version only became more than a very rare form in the 1960s but has taken off seriously since 2000 (It has also led to the :eek: spelling of the word queue as que, by similar phonetic association?)

Hau Ruck

English - U.S.
    Is it a misspelling? Merriam calls it a variant. (And it's the way I've always spelled it, although I see from various sources that I'm in the minority.)
    I'm "guilty" of it too, pob14. I don't sweat it at all. It's one of those variants in which the "incorrect" way has (at least from what I've seen) surpassed the "correct" way for some time. People just tend to turn BBQ into Barbeque since that spelling naturally follows the pattern of the abbreviation.

It doesn't bother me that much. :)

JustKate

Ugh. I just loathe it. I comfort myself with the fact that so far, the correct (heehee!) spelling of barbecue is still dominant. << no, you may not :rolleyes: >>

Last edited by a moderator:

JustKate

<< off topic >>
    Garner's Modern American Usage says barbecue is still the predominant spelling and that barbeque "should be avoided in carefully edited prose." To be fair, that lets out most menus!

Last edited by a moderator:

ewie

English English
    I so rarely see barbecue any more that I'd say barbeque is becoming the 'standard' spelling in the UK. (Of course, technically it should be spelt barbequeue here:D)

exgerman

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    Going back on topic for a moment: here's a picture of a "double bacon cheese beast". It's not a standard term, but is easily understandable as signifying some food involving lots of cheese, so that it is monstrously caloric.

Last edited:

MaryamSeresht

Persian
    Thanks, dear exgerman. So why is it called beast? as you know, beast means animal, or animal nature!:confused: is it because it has lots of bacon, or suggesting it's made of pig?!!!

Hau Ruck

English - U.S.
    It's the same reason we jokingly call a big man a beast.

"He's a BEAST (of a man)!"

Try not to think in literal terms here. It is a figurative idiom that we use to say something is massive or strong. :)

You might also hear someone say, "That's one BAD ASS _______ !" (dude, burger, car, house, boat, jet, etc.)
    Isn't slang great? :D

exgerman

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    I guess i got too cute and too obscure. I meant to explain that by writing "monstrously caloric" (monster=beast).

< Previous | Next >