Be acceptable to

Jin akashini

vietnamese
Hi every one,

I want to ask you the usage of "be acceptable to".

My friend wrote a sentence : "The Program will be implemented when this Report is acceptable to Asian Development Bank". I wonder whether it is correct to use "acceptable to" in this sentence and "acceptable to" has the same meaning of "approved by" ?

acceptable to = approved by = accepted by ?

Thanks a lot,

• souplady

english - united states
    'Acceptable to' is not really used in this situation. 'Approved by' and 'accepted by' are both perfectly fine, although I think 'approved' is a more typical usage.
    As a side note, program and report are not proper nouns, so they should not be written with a capital letter.

The program will be implemented when this report is approved/accepted by Asian Development Bank.​

Last edited:

Jin akashini

vietnamese
    Thank your for answers. :thumbsup: I understand your point, however, I wonder why souplady said "acceptable to" is not idiomatic while Edinburgher said "acceptable to" is idiomatic. Can you tell me in which cases, it should be used ?

souplady

english - united states
    Thank your for answers. :thumbsup: I understand your point, however, I wonder why souplady said "acceptable to" is not idiomatic while Edinburgher said "acceptable to" is idiomatic. Can you tell me in which cases, it should be used ?
    Sorry, Edinburgher is correct. I misused the word idiomatic. What I meant to say is that it isn't really something that people would normally say in this context, where a report is looked over by an agency and they decide whether to implement the plan or not.

However, it IS absolutely grammatically correct and could be used in other situations. Example:
    - We must find a solution that is acceptable to everyone.

< Previous | Next >