Be afterr vs dive on

English nerd

Hindi
My friend is running is from bees. So is being chased by some punks in my school. So she thinks:
If I am able to make it past the bees ,then maybe they will be after/dive for/on them.(the ones who are chasing her)

So what should be used "be after or dive on/for?
Thank you:)

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Please tell us which option you think is correct, and perhaps explain how you are using "dive" in this context.

English nerd

Hindi
    I think "after" is correct.

I heard "dive" being used in the same situation,but am not sure whether "for/on" was used with it.So I felt like asking.. At least I feel it was wrong ,but I am not a native speaker, so couldn't be sure.

English nerd

Hindi
    And in place of "go for" can't "after" be used? I mean it means "look for/chase someone",right?
    Thank you:)

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    can't "after" be used?
    No. You shouldn't use it.

The essence of "go for" = attack. The delay caused by the attack will be sufficient for your friend to escape. This is the immediate idea that should be expressed.

We would not use "go after" as this implies that the thugs and the bees will interact such that the bees chase the thugs, but do not, (for some unknown reason) "go after" your friend".

English nerd

Hindi
    We would not use "go after" as this implies that the thugs and the bees will interact such that the bees chase the thugs, but do not, (for some unknown reason) "go after" your friend".
    Sorry,but I didn't get it. Of course,they're supposed to chase the thugs. What do you mean by "interaction" here?
    (So sorry:()

< Previous | Next >