be allocated for / go into

SLAL

FARSI
Hello.

Could you tell me if the following sentences are OK?

- The costs of maintaining subways could be saved to be allocated for their expansion.
- The costs of maintaining subways could be saved to go into their expansion.

Thank you.

• e2efour

UK English
    I don't understand what these sentences are saying. Some context is needed.
    Could you explain how the costs of maintenance can be saved. Also what is meant by the word subways?

SLAL

FARSI
    I am sorry. I don't have any idea about what author meant as it is part of a text I decided to translate.

The context is as follows with a little rewording:

Annually, millions of dollars are spent for maintenance of subways in the country and the costs could be cut by proper use of the vehicle and maintaining and repairing them in a timely and efficient way.

e2efour

UK English
    It is the savings in the maintenance costs which are allocated, not the costs.

I would say The savings in the costs of maintaining subways could be used for/go on their expansion.

kentix

English - U.S.
    A subway is the American equivalent of an underground train like the London Tube system. (Although they aren't always underground.)

SLAL

FARSI
    Hello.

May e2efour's sentence " The savings in the costs of maintaining subways could be used for/go on their expansion" be reworded as follows:

- The costs of maintaining subways could be cut back to expand them.
    - Our subways could be expanded through cut backs on their maintenance costs.

Best regards.

< Previous | Next >