be aloof from / be undisturbed by

bonbon2023

Korean(south)
If I look up 'aloof' and 'undisturbed' in Collins Advanced Learner's Dictionary, they have similar definition as below with different examples, and their meanings are not clear. I rephrased the sentence1, sentence 2 into A, B to make it easier to compare their similarity and differentiate them, but each-two sentence seem the same after rephrasing, though definitions are not the same. Could you explain what's the difference between 1 and A, and between 2 and B?

If someone stays aloof from something, they do not become involved with it.
1.The Government is keeping aloof from the controversy.
A. The Government is undisturbed by the controversy.

If someone is undisturbed by something, it does not affect, bother, or upset them.
2.Victoria was strangely undisturbed by this symptom, even though her husband and family were frightened.
B.'Victoria was strangely aloof from this symptom, even though her husband and family were frightened.

• Biffo

English - England
    For me the terms are used in different circumstances. The Wordreference Dictionary may be more helpful than yours in this respect.

aloof
    /əˈluːf/
    adjective not friendly; cool and distant.
    http://www.wordreference.com/definition/aloof

Aloof is usually used to describe deliberate lack of contact with a person, a group of people or an issue. Undisturbed is much more impersonal and simply refers to a state of mind.

Example

The Government is keeping aloof from the controversy.
    [The government does not wish to become involved in the matter. They are avoiding talking about it]

The Government is undisturbed by the controversy. [The government knows about the matter. They may even be taking action but they are not worried that the matter will become out of hand]

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >