be <better off>

zbwsb

Norwegian
In terms of the "poor" millionaires in the article, they are still much better off than most.

To be in a better situation? Or it means to have more money than in the past?

• hyperslow

Polish
    Depending on the situation it could mean more wealthy, having more (whatever is valuable in your view), in a better situation, etc.

there is also a nice plural noun - the better-off - those who are rich...
    I've come across another one while readind Larsson's 'The girl with...' They are refered to as the well-to-do.

cheers

cropje_jnr

English - Australia
    In general terms, it means to be in a better situation. Here, it would almost certainly refer to being in a better financial situation (i.e. having more money).

"Still better off than most" therefore means "richer than most (other people).

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    They are better off (in a financially more advantageous position) than most other people.

Ah, pipped by others, I see.

Fabulist

Banned
    American English
    In relation to millionaires, "better off" is clearly about money. But the two words are not limited to money. If you're sick and I'm well, I'm better off than you are, and if a flood carries away my car but sweeps away your entire house, I'm also better off than you are.

bangla

Bangla
    In terms of the "poor" millionaires in the article, they are still much better off than most.

To be in a better situation? Or it means to have more money than in the past?
    Hello zbwsb,
    "Better off" is an idiom and it has two meanings.
    1stly "Better off" means To have more money. For example,1. Families will be better off under the new law,2. Her promotion means she's $100 a week better off.
    2ndly "Better off" is used to say that somebody is happier or more satisfied if they were in a particular position or did a particular thing. For instance, She's better off without him.
    To me "To be in a better situation" is correct.
    Thank you:)

< Previous | Next >