be bracing (braced) for

< Previous | Next >

LQZ

Mandarin
Uncertainty over how the euro-zone crisis will play out has led German businesses to put their investment plans on hold, said Stefan Kirschsieper, owner of tool manufacturer Walter Kottmann GmbH. "Everyone is hesitating," he said. Still, he isn't bracing for a sharp downturn and said demand from emerging economies is compensating for slumping sales to Europe's indebted south. The Wall Street Journal

Dear all,

My question is, should bracing be braced? The Longman Dictionary says that be braced for is a verbal phrase, meaning to mentally or physically prepare yourself or someone else for something unpleasant that is going to happen. Could you please explain to me? Thanks.

LQZ

• ewie

English English
    Hullo LQZ. In my humble :)rolleyes:) opinion, either he isn't braced for or he isn't bracing himself for would be good there. (The WSJ writer is perhaps using an American version of the expression, or a new-fangled version I'm not aware of ...)
    Brace oneself for is 'mentally or physically prepare oneself for something unpleasant'; be braced for is (in my humble opinion again:rolleyes:) the result of bracing oneself, i.e. 'be in a state of preparedness for ...' ~ the two amount to pretty much the same thing, really.

LQZ

Mandarin
    Hullo LQZ. In my humble :)rolleyes:) opinion, either he isn't braced for or he isn't bracing himself for would be good there. (The WSJ writer is perhaps using an American version of the expression, or a new-fangled version I'm not aware of ...)
    Brace oneself for is 'mentally or physically prepare oneself for something unpleasant'; be braced for is (in my humble opinion again:rolleyes:) the result of bracing oneself, i.e. 'be in a state of preparedness for ...' ~ the two amount to pretty much the same thing, really.
    Thank you, ewie. :)

< Previous | Next >