be build into it; as it were

< Previous | Next >

sav_av

Russian
Hi,

Here is the full sentense:
I'd like to try and give some indication of how London itself originated; of what developmental trends were built into it, as it were, from the very outset;

It's not quite clear for me, what do "be built into it" and "as it were" mean here?

Thanks.

• Copyright

American English
    Welcome to the forum. :)

Please have a look at our rules, beginning with the convenient Quick Guide. (Complete rules)

We limit each thread to a single question and we ask that you name the source of any quotation.

We also ask that you search first because we've answered so many questions in the page. If you put as it were in the Search box, you'll find many previous threads.

sav_av

Russian
    Thanks for the reply! Yes, it's my first post, so please excuse me for mistakes:)

Concerning to the "as it were" link, I tried to search it first. But the problem is that there is a phrase under the search box: "We could not find the full phrase you were looking for." It stopped me from reading the remaing text.
    It seems it should not write such phrase, cause in fact there is the full phrase on the page:
    as it werein a way; so to speak; as if it were really so

If you don't mind, let's discuss in this thread "be build into it" only. The source of my question is English course for Russians. Its name is "<<Russian deleted.>>" And I'm afraid, you won't understand what i've written here:) It could be translated as "English - accelerated learning. Linguaphone course". And there is a Russian translation of English texts, but, some parts of the sentenses, I can see it, either are not tranlated at all, or tranlated incorrectly.
    So, please let me know should I point this source in my posts? Or should I give some other information? More sentenses, for example to undestand it better.

PS: I've read a rule, that non english letters are disallowed. But what should I do, it is my source?:)

Last edited:

Copyright

American English
    Just naming the source in English is fine; we don't require a link.

For me, "built into it" means a part of London's planning and construction from the very beginning -- not added on later.

< Previous | Next >