Be careful how far you climb up the tree?

Julie4luck

Korean
Hello,

I'm not sure I understand the below red texts. Does 'put a target on my back' mean 'do harm/damage to me'? And
'Be careful how far you climb up the tree' means 'Be careful how far you can go; control the level of advocacy'??
Actually, I'm confused with all the context.

<one person warned that my challenge to Indiana would put “a target on my back.” Even my longtime mentor warned me that my advocacy might subject the company to unwanted scrutiny. “Be careful how far you climb up the tree,” he told me, “because it will expose your backside.”

Thanks in advance.

• anthox

English - Northeast US
    These are metaphors. If you have a "target on your back," people are aiming to shoot at you. In other words, people might attempt retribution of some sort against the speaker due to this "challenge."
    "Be careful how far you climb up the tree" = "Be careful how much you invest yourself/put yourself out there in your advocacy." The idea is that the more involved this person becomes, the more visible he/she will become to people who don't like that he/she is doing.

Julie4luck

Korean
    These are metaphors. If you have a "target on your back," people are aiming to shoot at you. In other words, people might attempt retribution of some sort against the speaker due to this "challenge."
    "Be careful how far you climb up the tree" = "Be careful how much you invest yourself/put yourself out there in your advocacy." The idea is that the more involved this person becomes, the more visible he/she will become to people who don't like that he/she is doing.
    Thank a lot. It helps me to understand all the context.

< Previous | Next >