be counted to

< Previous | Next >

Huda

Arabic-Egypt
Please help me.
I can't understand the "be counted to" in the following sentence. Does the writer wants to say that Ma'an should be annexed to Hijaz? This sentence is excerpted from an article which is entitled "Jauf and the North Arabian Desert" and published by the Geographical Journal, 1923.
Northward of Ma'an, which with the settlements south of it on the railway line, should be counted to Hijaz, Trans-Jordan has characteristics of its own differentiating it from Arabia.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
  • The Newt

English - US
    I think it's an archaic way of saying "accounted to," with the meaning "assigned to," in a cultural if not legal sense.

Huda

Arabic-Egypt
    Fairly sure, yes. If you can access it there's a definition at the link below that fits:

The American Encyclopaedic Dictionary

The relevant definition is "To ascribe or impute; to reckon or place to an account."
    Actually I can't understand these meanings with regard to the context in question. You said above that "count to" means "assign to", that's the only meaning I can understand. To assign is to give somebody some work or responsibility. So "Northward of Ma'an should be counted to Hijaz" means that Hijaz should assume the responsibility for Ma'an. Am I correct or wrong?

Last edited:

The Newt

English - US
    Actually I can't understand these meanings with regard the context in question. You said above that "count to" means "assign to", that's the only meaning I can understand. To assign is to give somebody some work or responsibility. So "Northward of Ma'an should be counted to Hijaz" means that Hijaz should assume the responsibility for Ma'an. Am I correct or wrong?
    No, you can also "assign" something to a category, or anything else you can sort.

Thus the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park in Australia has been assigned [to] category VI in its entirety, but has also been officially assigned [to] other categories that relate to regulated management zones within the park.

< Previous | Next >