be credited with

jenny 321

chinese
I saw this in the desperate housewives. Lynette is responsible for sewing kids' costumes for school show, then another woman says," there has been an oversight with the programs. Celia Bond is still credited with costumes. They forgot to tell the printer." what does " be credited with costumes" mean? I looked up "credit" in the dictionary, but it does not make any sense in this context.
Thank you ~~

• jenny 321

chinese
    It means to be publicly acknowledged as responsible for the costumes.

The programme will indicate who sewed the kids' costumes, and credited the wrong person.
    Thank you. I get it now, it means Lynette does not get the credit for sewing costumes, but other person does.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Thank you. I get it now, it means Lynette does not get the credit for sewing costumes, but other person does.
    Not really. There's a difference between getting the credit, and being credited with something.

If you are not credited in the programme, only people in the know will give you the credit for something.

jenny 321

chinese
    Not really. There's a difference between getting the credit, and being credited with something.

If you are not credited in the programme, only people in the know will give you the credit for something.
    thank you. so it means people who do not know Lynette sews customes won't give her credit, but she will probably get credit from those who know this fact. Am I getting it this time? thank you

kentix

English - U.S.
    I think you get the idea. The problem they have is the wrong person's name is listed. The program is a piece of paper or booklet they give to every member of the audience who comes to see the show. The section that lists everyone's name who made a contribution to the show is called the credits. People will read that and think Celia Bond did that sewing job. They might even praise her for it after the show. That's not fair to Lynnette. She did the work but didn't get her name on the program.

So credit is used two different ways. She didn't get her name listed in the program, which is called a credit. It refers to the printed name. But because her name is not listed she also doesn't get the credit, the understanding among other people that she is the one who did the work and should be praised.

jenny 321

chinese
    I think you get the idea. The problem they have is the wrong person's name is listed. The program is a piece of paper or booklet they give to every member of the audience who comes to see the show. The section that lists everyone's name who made a contribution to the show is called the credits. People will read that and think Celia Bond did that sewing job. They might even praise her for it after the show. That's not fair to Lynnette. She did the work but didn't get her name on the program.

So credit is used two different ways. She didn't get her name listed in the program, which is called a credit. It refers to the printed name. But because her name is not listed she also doesn't get the credit, the understanding among other people that she is the one who did the work and should be praised.
    But because her name is not listed she also doesn't get the credit, the understanding among other people that she is the one who did the work and should be praised.
    thanks for you detiled explanation.
    Since her name is not listed, why do other people praise her ? Do "other people" here refer to those who she work with ?

kentix

English - U.S.
    That's the point. Because her name is not listed, they don't know they should praise her. They think they should praise Celia Bond.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    But because her name is not listed she also doesn't get the credit, the understanding among other people that she is the one who did the work and should be praised.
    thanks for you detiled explanation.
    Since her name is not listed, why do other people praise her ? Do "other people" here refer to those who she work with ?
    Hello Jenny,

You need to sort out these these three meanings, all used here:

To credit - To publish, maybe in a document, or at the end of a film or television programme, the names of all who contributed to a motion-picture or a television program, or any other collective enterprise for which a document is issued.

To be credited - To have one's name so acknowledged publicly as a contributor to such an enterprise.

To give credit to someone - to acknowledge someone as deserving praise or acclaim for their contribution fo something.

They can easily be confusing until you are used to them.

If the right people have not been credited (included in the document) they may not be given proper credit for their work.

jenny 321

chinese
    Hello Jenny,

You need to sort out these these three meanings, all used here:

To credit - To publish, maybe in a document, or at the end of a film or television programme, the names of all who contributed to a motion-picture or a television program, or any other collective enterprise for which a document is issued.

To be credited - To have one's name so acknowledged publicly as a contributor to such an enterprise.

To give credit to someone - to acknowledge someone as deserving praise or acclaim for their contribution fo something.

They can easily be confusing until you are used to them.

If the right people have not been credited (included in the document) they may not be given proper credit for their work.
    thank you. I can see the differences now~~~

< Previous | Next >