be down with somebody

Escorpiana.com

Español - Argentina
Hola. No entiendo esta oración. Una chica le pide a su novio que no moleste a su papá. Él está celoso porque el padre de la chica parece que quiere salir con la madre del chico.
El diálogo es así:

Chica: Nothing is going to change between us, so don´t slack on my dad, ok? For me.

Chico: I'm down wuth Buzz (padre). Hell, if friendly tall boy was in the Sugarbowl when I was fifteen. He is hip for a dad. Maybe a bit too much.

Lo que entiendo es que está siendo un poco irónico. Pero no entiendo qué significa "be down with" ni lo de "if friendly tall boy was in the Sugarbowl when I was fifteen".

Alguien puede ayudarme???

• chaoninja

English
    Hola. No entiendo esta oración. Una chica le pide a su novio que no moleste a su papá. Él está celoso porque el padre de la chica parece que quiere salir con la madre del chico.
    El diálogo es así:

Chica: Nothing is going to change between us, so don´t slack on my dad, ok? For me.

Chico: I'm down wuth Buzz (padre). Hell, if friendly tall boy was in the Sugarbowl when I was fifteen. He is hip for a dad. Maybe a bit too much.

Lo que entiendo es que está siendo un poco irónico. Pero no entiendo qué significa "be down with" ni lo de "if friendly tall boy was in the Sugarbowl when I was fifteen".

Alguien puede ayudarme???
    Hola Escorpiana,

This phrase is very colloquial, and means that he get's along with the father or that he likes the father. You can use it for things or situations, too - for example, if someone invited you to a show, you could say "I'm down" - here it would mean 'that sounds good', or 'I'm up for that'. Its used mostly by younger generations and especially in the hip-hop scene.

I don't understand the other phrase - are you sure you heard it right?

JmPor

Spanish - Spain
    May I suggest the importance of taking notice of some other possible meanings depending on other following prepositions?

"To be down on" I think implies to have negative feelings towards someone. After the argument, he's been down on his boss
    "To be down with" could also be used for saying someone is ill. He's down with some sort of bug and is off work today

Just more information about this expression: "to be down"

< Previous | Next >