be flying/will be flying

< Previous | Next >

sunyaer

Chinese
Self-made sentences:

1."Tomorrow morning at 9am, I am flying to China."

2. "Tomorrow morning at 9am, I will be flying to China."

Any difference between these two tenses? (I feel quite the same.)

Last edited:
  • boozer

Bulgarian
    1."Tomorrow morning at 9am, I am flying to China." - You are catching the flight to China at 9 tomorrow. The plane takes off at 9 tomorrow.

2. "Tomorrow morning at 9am, I will be flying to China." - Out of context, this sentence tells me that you will be on the plane flying to China tomorrow at 9. Maybe you will be over the ocean and halfway through the journey, maybe the plane will have just taken off or will be about to touch down in China - no way of knowing.
    I think they could also mean the same...

echinocereus

English United States
    Excellent distinction, boozer. I would also like to mention to sunyaer that in English we regularly use present progressive as a substitute for future tense. "I am leaving next month." and "I shall leave next month." Even the future progressive: "I shall be leaving next month." :)

sunyaer

Chinese
    1."Tomorrow morning at 9am, I am flying to China." - You are catching the flight to China at 9 tomorrow. The plane takes off at 9 tomorrow. I read it as "at the time of 9am tomorrow morning, I will be on the plane flying to China.)

2. "Tomorrow morning at 9am, I will be flying to China." - Out of context, this sentence tells me that you will be on the plane flying to China tomorrow at 9. Maybe you will be over the ocean and halfway through the journey, maybe the plane will have just taken off or will be about to touch down in China - no way of knowing.
    Any difference between the following two sentences? (I see no difference.)

"Tomorrow morning at 9am, I am having a meeting." (Does this mean that the meeting starts at 9am tomorrow morning or I am going to a meeting at 9am?)

"Tomorrow morning at 9am, I will be having a meeting." (I will be in the meeting at the time of 9am?)

Last edited:

echinocereus

English United States
    Hi, sunyaer,

The difference is subtle. Your first sentence would indicate that you are starting the meeting at 9 AM. (By the way, may I recommend that you use the contraction "I'm" in speech so that the sentence will not sound "stilted" in conversational English...)

Your second sentence would indicate that at 9 AM the meeting will already be in progress. It started before before that time.

:)

echinocereus

English United States
    By the way, sunyaer, your second sentence would sound very natural in English as "Tomorrow morning at 9 I'll be in a meeting."

boozer

Bulgarian
    I read it as "at the time of 9am tomorrow morning, I will be on the plane flying to China.)
    You mean that sentence, right?
    Tomorrow morning at 9 I am flying to China.

I am incapable of interpreting it your way. For that interpretation I need the future progressive - will be flying to China.

< Previous | Next >