be free to explore information however they want/as they please

ellindea

USA, English
I'm trying to say something like this:
"Should government control information, or should people be free to explore information however they want/as they please? Or should there be a compromise?"
On a dictionary website that I use frequently, I found an example of a sentence with the phrase "free to", so I took when I saw thrr and was hoping I could apply it to this sentence. The sentence on the web site was:
"Women should be free to dress as they please."
Their translation was:
女性应该任其喜好随意穿戴。
So, what I have for my sentences is this:
政府应该控制信息,还是人们应该任其喜好随意探究信息?还是某折中?
Does it work at all?
Please use pinyin in your responses. 谢谢!:)

• Geysere

Chinese - China
    I'd say something like: 政府应该控制信息, 还是应该任民众自由探究信息? 或是有什么折衷/中的方案? (but 探究 sounds like scientific research... :eek: any other ideas?)
    喜好 actually means "personal preference". It's not wrong here but is not really appropriate in this case, I think :)
    Which part do you need in pinyin?

ellindea

USA, English
    Helllo, Geysere! Thank you for your response. So, does 自由 take the place of 喜好随意? I'm curious, how much sense does my original translation make? If I said it to a native speaker, would they understand?

I actually figured out that I can copy and paste the whole text into one of the online dictionaries that I use and it gives me the pinyin of each word, so I don't need the pinyin.

Thanks again :)

Ghabi

AL/OL/Ar/Zh mod
    Cantonese
    政府应该控制信息,还是人们应该任其喜好随意探究信息?还是某折中?Does it work at all?
    任其喜好 sounds more like "according to their whims and fancies". I don't know if you'd like to use it in this context. 探究 means "to investigate [a problem]", often used in the titles of academic papers. 折中 is an adjective not a noun, so you can't say 某折中.

Geysere

Chinese - China
    So, does 自由 take the place of 喜好随意? I'm curious, how much sense does my original translation make? If I said it to a native speaker, would they understand?
    In the context of the first sentence, it's a matter of women's personal choices on clothing, so 喜好随意 fits well. In your sentence, I think it's more about the freedom of people to access information. When one day there's absolute freedom, then you can choose to specifically explore the information according to your 喜好.

< Previous | Next >