be important to or for?

Rochester_Liuz

Chinese-China
Hi everybody,
I need your help. I have been bugged by this problem for quite a while. I am Chinese. According to our text book, the word important should be followed by "for somebody to do something''. However, when I search on google, I find there are two phrases "be important for somebody" and "be important to somebody", so I am confused now. Is there anyone can tell me what is the difference please? Thank you in advance.

• termes

Spanish
    I'd say it is " to be important to somebody"
    My mother is very important to me.

But note:
    It is important for him to bring the books.

Hope it helps

QLSLLC

NY, USA/English
    Some other examples that come to mind:

Studying hard is important to Mary.
    It's important to be a kind person.
    It's important that you don't forget to bring your book.
    You could say "It's important for us to finish on time." but I think it is more common to say "It's important that we finish on time."

I hope this helps.

QLSLLC

NY, USA/English
    Hi Termes - Yes, that was very difficult. I cannot think of another example to illustrate "important for".

Saludos!

Rochester_Liuz

Chinese-China
    Thanks!Guys. However, someone told me that "important to" means emotionally attached, eg. The house is important to me. "important for" is more about actual needs and more objective. eg. The house is important for me because without it, I have no where else to live. Does that make sense to you?

Rochester_Liuz

Chinese-China
    Some other examples that come to mind:

Studying hard is important to Mary.
    It's important to be a kind person.
    It's important that you don't forget to bring your book.
    You could say "It's important for us to finish on time." but I think it is more common to say "It's important that we finish on time."

I hope this helps.

QLSLLC

NY, USA/English
    Thanks!Guys. However, someone told me that "important to" means emotionally attached, eg. The house is important to me. "important for" is more about actual needs and more objective. eg. The house is important for me because without it, I have no where else to live. Does that make sense to you?
    Yes, that distinction makes sense. I admit I do not have complete information about the rules that apply, but I will definitely look into this. I also agree with Zeti's example, "Studying is important for your future career."

Thanks to all, this is an interesting discussion!

Saludos,
    QLS

Rochester_Liuz

Chinese-China
    Yes, that distinction makes sense. I admit I do not have complete information about the rules that apply, but I will definitely look into this. I also agree with Zeti's example, "Studying is important for your future career."

Thanks to all, this is an interesting discussion!

Saludos,
    QLS
    Yes, I feel it too, very interesting. If you are trying to learn Chinese, I will be here for you. :)

termes

Spanish
    I don't think I'm particularly interested in that, although it could be important for me to learn such difficult language. Just kidding...

< Previous | Next >