be in bed vs go into bed

cecillian

Georgian
Hello every one,
I know the meaning of go into bed which means go for sleep. But I've heard people use be in bed too.
For example "we are in bed at 9 every night"
Considering be in bed with some means having love with him/her, what can people mean using this sentence?
I mean they are just simply saying that they go to sleep at night. Or they go just to bed not necessarily sleeping?

Thanks in advance

• Thomas Tompion

English - England
    In BE we don't say 'to go into bed':cross: very much. We day 'to go to bed'.

'To be in bed' usually means to have gone to bed, eg. 'We're in bed by 9 pm', with no specific suggestion of what one is doing there.

'To go to bed' can mean to have sex.

These idioms are more particular than is immediately obvious.

Myridon

English - US
    In BE we don't say 'to go into bed':cross: very much. We day 'to go to bed'.
    It is the same in American English. If someone says they're going to bed, they may mean that they are going to brush their teeth, change into their pajamas, etc so it may be some time before they are actually in bed. The people in the sentence in the original post have brushed their teeth and all those other things before 9.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    It occurs to me that I should have said that to describe getting between the sheets we say to get into bed, but never to go into bed:cross:.

To go to bed is to leave the living quarters and go to one's bedroom and get into bed.

< Previous | Next >