be inclined to/tend to

< Previous | Next >

popup

Chinese
Hello,

Would you please tell me whether "be inclined to do something" and "tend to do something" have exactly the same meaning and thus can be replaced by the other?

For example, can I say the following two sentences?

I am inclined to disagree that XXXXXX.
I tend to disagree that XXXXXX.

• Ania R.

Polish (Poland)
    No, they do not have the same meaning, or at least not always. I am inclined to disagree may mean that in this particular situation you are closer to disagreeing than agreeing with someone. If you say I tend to disagree it means that you usually disagree with something/someone. At least I would always go with the first one when I mean a specific situation and the second one when I'm speaking in general.

Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    Ania has given a case where the two expressions can have a different meaning.
    In many cases, however, they mean the same thing.
    - Sonia tends to exaggerate.
    - Sonia is inclined to exaggerate.
    Both mean "Sonia often exaggerates".
    The choice between them may be different depending on region.

popup

Chinese
    Hi Ania and Hildy, thank you so much for your detailed explanations, which are very clear and helpful to me!

So is it idiomatic or redundant if I say the following sentence?
    As far as I am concerned, I am inclined to disagree that controlling what to eat is the best way of losing weight.

Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    Either of the two expressions is good, but not a combination of both.
    - As far as I am concerned, controlling what to eat is not the best way of losing weight.
    or:
    - I am inclined to disagree that controlling what to eat is the best way of losing weight.

popup

Chinese
    OK, I see. Thanks for letting me know this, Hildy! I always used "As far as I am concerned, I am inclined to disagree that" previously and thought it was good...

< Previous | Next >