be infamous for their formidable personality

< Previous | Next >

Erbab

Türkçe
"People in Trabzon are infamous for their formidable personality. However, I do not totally agree with it. Even if sometimes they can be difficult to deal with, they are actually friendly and value hospitality. "

A friend of mine wrote this sentence for his presentation. However, formidable personality sounds a little weird to me. In Turkey, people of Trabzon are thought that they are angry and stubborn. They can exaggerate some little things and argue with you about them. So, he means that sometimes they are difficult to deal with.

What do you think? Does it sound natural to you?

• ewie

English English
    Not entirely natural, Erbab, no. Formidable basically means 'frightening', 'daunting', 'that makes you nervous'.
    Unfortunately I can't think of a word that covers both 'angry' and 'stubborn' ... ...

Erbab

Türkçe
    Thank you very much for your comment ewie. Then I recommend him to write it in this way;

''People in Trabzon are infamous for their anger and stubbornness. They are also considered as conservative. However, I do not totally agree with it. Even if sometimes they can be difficult to deal with , most of them are actually open-minded, friendly and value hospitality. "

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >