be interviewed vs will be interviewed

Gregor1

Chinese
—So what is the procedure?

—All the applicants ______ before a final decision is made by the authority.(2013·Gaokao)

A.interview B.are interviewing

C.are interviewed D.are being interviewed

The answer is C. I want to know if I use will be interviewed in this sentence, is it okay?

• lingobingo

English - England
    If you use “will be interviewed” you imply a specific context, so it only makes sense if you’re referring to a particular situation. (The same would apply to D.)

But the simple present works fine as a generality – meaning this is how it’s [always] done, this is the normal procedure.

Gregor1

Chinese
    @ lingobingo Thanks for the explanation. For D, do you mean that "be doing " can be used as planned future events. So they are interviewing sb = they have decided to interview sb. then sb is being interviewed also means the same.

lingobingo

English - England
    All the applicants are being interviewed before a final decision is made by the authority.

This is not a generalisation. It can only refer to a specific situation.

Gregor1

Chinese
    Yes, I understand this sentence is a generalization. But I do want to know whether be doing ( be being doing ) can be used to refer to the future. Is being doing seems to me that it emphasizes that something is being doing right now!

lingobingo

English - England
    It depends on the context. It does not intrinsically denote the future (it’s the present continuous), but the context might mean that it refers to something that has not yet happened.

< Previous | Next >