be it...or...

danthaman07

Spanish+English
Is this sentence coherent?

I contend that if America wants to restore some measure of meaning and hope in the familial institution, be it blended or nuclear, it can start by taking a closer look at the nuclear values that are being transmitted in this ageless sitcom.

• Not really. I have no problem with the grammar of "be it blended or nuclear", but it makes little sense. The words "nuclear" and "blended" are not mutually exclusive descriptors of families. A nuclear family can be a blended family, while an unblended one is not necessarily nuclear. I also don't know why you call it a "familial institution" rather than a "family", and I have no idea what "nuclear values" are; it sounds as if the television set is giving off dangerous radiation.

danthaman07

Spanish+English
    Ha. Well i was a bit hesitant in using be it blended or nuclear. I think i was going for something more along the lines of "whether it is blended or nuclear," but i didn't know how to incorprate that in the sentence. As for blended and nuclear being similar, it is something that i argue in my paper. So i guess my question is this: could one just cut out be it blended or nuclear and replace it with whether it is blended or nuclear?

JamesM

Ha. Well I was a bit hesitant in using be it blended or nuclear. I think I was going for something more along the lines of "whether it is blended or nuclear," but I didn't know how to incorprate that in the sentence. As for blended and nuclear being similar, it is something that I argue in my paper. So I guess my question is this: could one just cut out be it blended or nuclear and replace it with whether it is blended or nuclear?

[moderator note: please remember to use standard English when posting. "I", the personal pronoun, is always capitalized in standard English.]

As GWB has said, "nuclear" and "blended" are not mutually exclusive. A blended family can be a nuclear family. It is a false distinction. I think you might want to look at the distinction itself before worrying about how to express it, especially in a paper. If it is indeed the topic of your paper, including it as a throwaway phrase in the introduction without explanation is not particularly helpful to the reader.