"be it"

kyn

Vietnamese
Is this sentence correct: "Teamwork, or cooperation, is a very important factor for a smooth operation of a company, be it among people working in a department, or inter-departments."? And is "be it" here formal or informal? Is there any alternative way of writing for "be it" here?

• Dimcl

Canadian English
    Is this sentence correct: "Teamwork, or cooperation, is a very important factor for the smooth operation of a company, be it among people working in a department, or inter-departments."? And is "be it" here formal or informal? Is there any alternative way of writing for "be it" here?

"Be it" is rather formal, but not overly so. Its use is correct in your sentence although you could also say "...whether it be among...". Note that I've changed "a" to "the" in your sentence because "the" is referring to the specific operation of a company. I'm not really comfortable with the end of your sentence "...working in a department, or inter-departments". I know what you mean but I think you want "inter-departmentally".

cropje_jnr

English - Australia
    It sounds relatively formal (or at least certainly not colloquial or familiar).

An equivalent would be 'whether it be'.

I would probably also prefer 'between departments' to 'inter-departments'. The prefix 'inter' generally applies only to adjectives.

mtmjr

English (US)
    While I agree that "between departments" is much better, I have heard "interdepartmentally" quite often in reference to business or government.

I would also eliminate the comma after "department", but that could just be personal preference.

Joelline

American English
    "Teamwork or cooperation, whether among people working in a department or inter-departmental, is a very important factor for the smooth operation of a company,"

I've eliminated the commas after "or" because they are not generally used unless "or" is a coordinating conjunction (which it is not here). I've also moved the descriptive modifying phrase closer to what it modifies (In my opinion, "inter-departmental" is now simply an adjective modifying "teamwork or cooperaition."

mtmjr

English (US)
    I've also moved the descriptive modifying phrase closer to what it modifies (In my opinion, "inter-departmental" is now simply an adjective modifying "teamwork or cooperaition."

Unfortunately, no matter how hard we try, we cannot move the descriptive phrase close enough to "teamwork" so as to detach "inter-departmental" from "people working". In my estimation, it must be an adverb modifying "working" or changed altogether: "between departments".

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    How about (starting with Joelline's version):

"Teamwork or cooperation, whether inter-departmental or among people working in a [single] department, is a very important factor for the smooth operation of a company,"