Ume

Banned
Japanese
Hello.

If the phrase is used figuratively, it means:
-------------------------
[ Oxford Dictionary ]
be looking over your shoulder
to be anxious and have the feeling that someone is going to do something unpleasant or harmful to you

"It drives me crazy when my boss keeps looking over my shoulder while I'm doing my work."
The speaker feels like his boss is keeping a close eye on him, doesn't he?

Last edited:
  • Dimcl

Canadian English
    Hello.

If the phrase is used figuratively, it means:
    [ Oxford Dictionary ]
    be looking over your shoulder
    to be anxious and have the feeling that sb is going to do sth unpleasant or harmful to you

"It drives me crazy when my boss keeps looking over my shoulder while I'm doing my work."
    The speaker feels like his boss is keeping a close eye on him, doesn't he?
    Yes, he does.

Umeboshi, you've been asked not to make reference to "sb", "sth", etc. in the past. These are not abbreviations familiar to native-English-speakers and they are not abbreviations permitted in the forum. Please review the posts of the moderators in this thread:

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=596625

and please don't use them again.

nzfauna

New Zealand, English
    To look over [ones own] shoulder = You're worried that someone is going to do something untoward to you, for example.

To look over [someone else's] shoulder = To monitor someone elses performance or actions.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Umeboshi,

The acceptable way to change words in a quote is to put the words you change in brackets, like this:

to be anxious and have the feeling that [somebody] is going to do [something] unpleasant or harmful to you.
    If you do this, you can quote the dictionaries and at the same time follow the usual rules of the forum, as you clearly are trying to do.

Notice that this is what nzfauna did when he changed a word in your sentence to make his explanation clearer.

< Previous | Next >