be mapped, discussed, mulled over

< Previous | Next >

Karavostassis

Catalan - Catalunya
Hi!

I have some problemes with the meaning of these three verbs in this context. Maybe you can help me:

Because we each knew we had met our match, in terms of ambition, or damage, we knew we would put it all right one day with this: two beautiful daughters in two beautiful bedrooms. Tall, no doubt, and clever. Who would attend their destined private school, and who would each be mapped, discussed, mulled over, well loved.​

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    [...]
    Because we each knew we had met our match, in terms of ambition, or damage, we knew we would put it all right one day with this: two beautiful daughters in two beautiful bedrooms. Tall, no doubt, and clever. Who would attend their destined private school, and who would each be mapped, discussed, mulled over, well loved.​
    Is the punctuation of the quoted text correct?
    It doesn't make sense in this form.
    Well, maybe it does if we allow for a particular type of staccato writing style that has a fairly generous view of what constitutes a sentence.

The daughters would be:
    mapped - their education, social development and future lives would be carefully plannned;
    discussed - well of course, they would be extensively talked about;
    mulled over - something more than discussed, reflecting the need to consider the possible need to alter the carefully-prepared plans based on changes in the external world;
    well loved - naturally, although I have the sense that it would be at least as important that they should appear to be well loved.

< Previous | Next >