Be my guest

terrortwilight

South Korea, Korean
Can someone shed a light on the meaning of 'be my guest'? Other than its literal meaning of course :) Sounds to me like some sort of idomatic expression...
Thanks!

• divisortheory

United States, English
    It means sure, absolutely, of course, or go ahead. For example,

Jim: Do you mind if I change the radio station?
    Bob: Be my guest!

Be careful though, you can only use it in response to someone asking permission for something. The following is wrong:

Mom: Are you going to do your homework tonight?
    Son: Be my guest! (I used the of course meaning above)

In the above example, the son was telling his mom to do the homework, obviously not the intention! :D

nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    Can someone shed a light on the meaning of 'be my guest'? Other than its literal meaning of course :) Sounds to me like some sort of idomatic expression...
    Thanks!
    (conversation in "Pulp Fiction")

--I just want to know how a five dollar shake tastes like.
    --Sure, be my guest.

--Be my guest!
    = Go ahead, do it!

bibliolept

AE, Español
    (conversation in "Pulp Fiction")

--I just want to know how a five dollar shake tastes like.
    --Sure, be my guest.

--Be my guest!
    = Go ahead, do it!

Excellent example! (you just made my day, Nichec - I just got a flash of the two characters sitting in the "car booth" with Steve Buscemi serving them.)

tepatria

Canadian English
    I agree the example from Pulp Fiction is apt, but the use of "how a five dollar shake tastes like" may confuse some people. One usually says what something tastes like, or how something tastes. Both should never be used at the same time.

terrortwilight

South Korea, Korean
    Thank you so much everyone who replied, and tepatria thanks for the heads up! :D I don't know if you remember me but I do, you happen to have replied to most of my questions so far... maybe we're online at the simliar time period of the day. I appreciate your help.

< Previous | Next >