"Be my love"

EdgarOtalora

Colombian Spanish
Hello,

Herewith a question about the way one can say something.

Is it possible to say "Be my love?" instead of "proposal" or in its context.
Does this sound natural to you?
Have you ever heard it?

Please, tell me what you'd understand by this.

Thanks in advance,
Edd

• EdgarOtalora

Colombian Spanish
    Thanks so much for answering!

The context is as follows: We all know that before marriage people are usually fiancés right? Now, to be fiancés someone has to propose to the other one and there we listen to people saying: "OMG, he proposed to me!"
    So, my question would be if the person who proposes to the other one can say something like "be my love" or is it just possible to say "be mine"

Hope I cleared up my query.
    Thanks
    Edd

se16teddy

English - England
    Be my love
    1. is usually encountered in poetry rather than in conversation, though it is possible that a love-lorn would-be poet might say it; and
    2. does not necessarily refer directly to any particular legal or quasi-contractual status such as engagement or matrimony. It might just mean: I will love you, or allow me to love you.

canuck23

English, Canada
    Often in a marriage proposal people will say different things. It doesn't have to be "Will you marry me?" I think the important part is that it is clear that you mean it as "forever" "in marriage".

If you just said "Will you be mine?" It might be confusing because if you're together she might think she's already yours.

If you are down on one knee and holding a ring in your hand it is absolutely a nice way to say it :) You could add a "forever" on the end to show that you know she's already yours and now you want to make that committment for the rest of you lives.

Momerath

British English
    It doesn't seem the right thing to say to say when you're proposing a long-term relationship (sucha as marriage). More the sort of thing you might say (or write on a note accompanying a bunch of flowers. for example) if you wanted somebody to go out with you, as in the Ronettes' "Be my baby".

acemach

Malaysia - English & Mandarin
    The context is as follows: We all know that before marriage people are usually fiancés right? Now, to be fiancés someone has to propose to the other one and there we listen to people saying: "OMG, he proposed to me!"
    So, my question would be if the person who proposes to the other one can say something like "be my love" or is it just possible to say "be mine"
    To be qualified to propose, the person would already have to be their love. =]
    Stick with 'Will you marry me', I think. Less confusion.

< Previous | Next >