be on the loop

sergiofreeman

Spanish
Hi!
At the english-spanish forum I found this thread as well, but, the same person who posted , changed the expression , not the title of the thread to be in the loop, natives americans speakers and others gave a translation of this expression, giving the following idea: being among the people who are decision-makers or are fully informed
anyway, I have seen the expression be on the loop , and I would like to know if it means the same ,

Many Thanks
My english have improved with your help!

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    As always, we need the sentence in which you saw this expression.

The expression "in the loop" is well established, as you know. "On the loop" seems less likely. Without a specific example, it isn't possible to say what it might mean, or whether it is mistake.

Please give us a sentence in which you have seen this "on the loop" used.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    At the English-Spanish forum I found this thread as well, but the person who posted changed the expression to be in the loop. Native American speakers and others gave a translation of this expression, giving the following idea: being among the people who are decision-makers or are fully informed.

Anyway, I have seen the expression be on the loop, and I would like to know if it means the same.
    To be in the loop means, as you say, to be informed, to have access to what is happening among decision-makers or people in power.

I have never heard "on the loop" and do not believe that there is any such expression, at least in US English.

Please note that sentences, and names of languages and nationalities, always begin with a capital letter. (I have made those corrections in the quote above.)

pops91710

English, AE
    Hi!
    At the english-spanish forum I found this thread as well, but, the same person who posted , changed the expression , not the title of the thread to be in the loop, natives americans speakers and others gave a translation of this expression, giving the following idea: being among the people who are decision-makers or are fully informed
    anyway, I have seen the expression be on the loop , and I would like to know if it means the same ,

Many Thanks
    My english have improved with your help!
    On the loop? Not in this country unless you are on the highway loop!

Hermione Golightly

British English
    If it is not a mistake, typo is possible considering that on many keyboards O and I are next to each other. I don't know a phrase 'on the loop' and it sounds as if nobody else does either. I guess the Moderators of that forum just didn't correct the title.

Hermione

pops91710

English, AE
    If it is not a mistake, typo is possible considering that on many keyboards O and I are next to each other. I don't know a phrase 'on the loop' and it sounds as if nobody else does either. I guess the Moderators of that forum just didn't correct the title.

Hermione
    Yeah, that could be, too! On the other hand, native Hispanics get confused with in/on. My wife would always get them confused. It's on the refrigerator for It's in the refrigerator. I think she finally has it right now!

sergiofreeman

Spanish
    Hi Friends!
    Your replies let me know the righ way is “in the loop” I have no doubt of it, maybe some people make mistakes in writting, as the next examples may be.
    Sorry, I didn’t give a context , but , I just wanted to know if it was correct to say in any case “on the loop” so, I thought it was not neccesary the context, anyway, following direction from moderator, I want to give some context where “be on the loop” is used.
    o You will also be on the loop about opportunities to evangelize. The Catholic.net Newsletter is sent out weekly, we won't share your information, ...

o Sounds like you had a great time! Funny stuff! Also also, howzcome they never let us eat ribs in the STOCC during SM4? It’s not like I ever needed to be on the loop, with Grunsfeld and Feustel up there! Unfair! I demand ribs for all future missions (or sushi, for Japanese missions).
    Thanks Parla for your corrections, it makes me enhance my responsability in writting properly at any time; I recognize I have written very carelessly in the Forum.
    Many thanks.

Rival

English - UK
    I have never heard "on the loop" and do not believe that there is any such expression, at least in US English.
    The phrase "on the loop" used to be a normal (although somewhat colloquial) way of saying that a woman was wearing an intra-uterine contraceptive device -- analogous to being "on the pill" when the contraceptive was oral.

(I'm not sure if 'wearing' is the most appropriate word.)

sergiofreeman

Spanish
    Hi Again!

Making a search in Google , one can find many sentences using on the loop, as I say before, maybe many of these are incorrect, I'm giving some examples now:

.. with something that when you come to the Loop that the message speaks to you in your own way! Im glad to be on the loop volunteer team!!! HI-5 peeps! ...

A: I'm not sure many people would argue with you about how nice sidewalks would be on the loop. But as is often the case, the issue is money ...

Yeah Rival, I've seen "on the loop" used in that way.

The Lippes loop was the major contraceptive method stressed by the ...... continue to be on the loop or whether pills should be given an equal status, ...

Many Thanks Friends, nice learning with you.

pops91710

English, AE
    Hi Again!

Making a search in Google , one can find many sentences using on the loop, as I say before, maybe many of these are incorrect, I'm giving some examples now:

.. with something that when you come to the Loop that the message speaks to you in your own way! Im glad to be on the loop volunteer team!!! HI-5 peeps! ...

A: I'm not sure many people would argue with you about how nice sidewalks would be on the loop. But as is often the case, the issue is money ...

Yeah Rival, I've seen "on the loop" used in that way.

The Lippes loop was the major contraceptive method stressed by the ...... continue to be on the loop or whether pills should be given an equal status, ...
    Now, how would a guy with five children know that?:D

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    [....]

[...]
    "On the loop" is not a fixed phrase in either of these examples.

In the first of them, loop modifies 'volunteer team'. This person is happy to be a member of the loop volunteer team.

In the second, loop seems to be the name of a specific place where the writer would like to have sidewalks.

These demonstrate the need for specific context whenever you ask about a word or phrase. When you look over sentences Google finds, you may be able to tell whether or not something is being used as fixed phrase. If you can't tell, then ask about it in the forum, and we will be able to help.

< Previous | Next >