be opposed in the way to

< Previous | Next >

icu2

Chinese
In the following line :"There is another, highly competitive education system , opposed in almost every essential way to the traditional scholing", can I adjust its seqence to be " There is another highly competitive system,opposed to the traditional schooling in almost every essential way". It is ok? Tell me, PLEASE.
plus, another example:
Labor Day differs in every essential way from the other holidays of the year in any country," said Samuel Gompers, founder and longtime president of the American Federation of Labor.
so the phrase" in every essential way" is the point. That pharse likes adv.( such as essentially ?) What does it mean?

Last edited:
  • Biffo

English - England
    No you can't. That alteration would change the meaning.

Where did you find this text? Why do you want to change it? Please give us some more context.

icu2

Chinese
    The alternate life is the consequence of the communications revolution of the last 30 years or so. There is another, highly competitive educational system, opposed in almost every essential way to traditional schooling, that operates on the child and youth from the age of 2. It takes up as much of his time as the school does, and it works on him with far greater effectiveness.
    This alternative life is a life; it is not a diversion, a hobby, an amusement. << Excessive quotation deleted. >>

(The classroom's ubiquitous rival: pop culture, by Clifton Fadiman, page:150-152)

Last edited by a moderator:

icu2

Chinese

Where did you find this text? Why do you want to change it? Please give us some more context.
    There is another, highly competitive educational system, opposed to traditional schooling in almost every essential way .
    If the former is not your agreement, I have another rewrite:
    :Another very competitive educational system is opposed in almost all important (or basic) ways of traditional education.( obviously, misunderstood)

Last edited:

icu2

Chinese
    In the original example the commas seem misplaced.
    There is another, highly competitive educational system, opposed in almost every essential way to traditional schooling, that operates on the child and youth from the age of 2. To tell you the truth, its commas are completely right.

LVRBC

English-US, standard and medical
    No, the commas are not placed correctly. There is no comma needed after another; placing it there seems to make the subject of the sentence another rather than educational system​, which is wrong. The correct punctuation is:
    There is another highly competitive educational system, opposed in almost every essential way to traditional schooling, that operates on the child and youth from the age of 2.

icu2

Chinese
    No, the commas are not placed correctly. There is no comma needed after another; placing it there seems to make the subject of the sentence another rather than educational system​, which is wrong. The correct punctuation is:
    There is another highly competitive educational system, opposed in almost every essential way to traditional schooling, that operates on the child and youth from the age of 2.
    Have a look, passage 3 .

Attachments

Last edited:

LVRBC

English-US, standard and medical
    I have seen your link and I agree that the error is in the original and is not your error. Nevertheless the punctuation is wrong.

yashar

Persian

Could you please tell us about the difference in the meaning of these two alternatives?

Biffo

English - England
    Could you please tell us about the difference in the meaning of these two alternatives?
    I believe you have edited the second alternative since I first answered. According to my memory the second version had "almost opposed" in it.
    I am confused now because you seem to be asking two separate questions in your first post.

Could you please reformulate your question? Please don't edit the first post - make a new post.
    Thanks.

< Previous | Next >