Be or Become [a superhero]

< Previous | Next >

JohnnyS

Italian
What's the most correct between "How to be a superhero" vs "How to become a superhero", are both variants accepted without looking as a mistake?

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Please give us some context, and help us understand what you're trying to say. Is there more to the sentence? What do you want it to mean?

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Neither is more or less correct than the other. The appropriateness of one over the other will depend on your desired meaning.

puyopuni

Japanese-Japan
    I'd like to know more about the difference between "how to be" and "how to become." My textbook(for junior high students) says that "how to be a teacher" means how to behave as a teacher or the ways you have to take when you teach something as a teacher, whereas "how to become a teacher" means exact the way to become a teacher, that is, the way you have to take to get a teaching job. I think "how to be a teacher" doesn't always mean that above. It depends on the situation or the context. isn't it?

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    In general, "How to be a teacher" has the meaning you've indicated.

You might hear a sentence such as "If you want to be a teacher here, you need to be certified by the Board of Education," in which the distinction between being and becoming is rather fuzzy.

puyopuni

Japanese-Japan
    Thank you, Florentia52. You've got exactly my point! Not only me but Japanese students have used such sentences you showed as an example. If the sentence you mentioned above implies you "aren't" a teacher now, "how to be a teacher" doesn't always implies you "are already" a teacher....like if a junior high student says, "I want to know how to be a teacher", that seems to indicate they want to know how to "become" a teacher. I'm now wondering if I should tell my students about the difference, how to be and how to become in that way the text says. It must be absolutely, totally, definitely confusing for my students.

< Previous | Next >