be qualified for

• maxiogee

Banned
    English
    1. Cindy is qualified for the 2008 Olympics.
    2. Cindy qualifies for the 2008 Olympics.

Are they all correct? If yes, are there any differences in meaning?

Most Olympic events have a pre-determined qualification level before one can enter. It might be a minimum time in a running or swimming event, or a distance in the case of throwing events. Sometimes this achievement must fall within a certain timespan.

Cindy has qualified for the 2008 Olympics
    - if she has achieved the time or distance in a recognised open competition within the qualifying period, if one applies.

So, I don't think your phrasing would ever be spoken.
    I can't see how they would be spoken in the normal course of events - except in the case of number 2 which could be spoken just as Cindy crosses the finishing line or has here distance officially measured and approved. But aside from that particular instance it would sound wrong to me.

hly2004

Banned
    chinese
    Hi, quietdandelion, here's my 2 cents:)

1.Cindy is qualified for the 2008 Olympics.
    =Cindy has reached the qualification for the 2008 Olympics.
    Maybe she won't attend it though.
    She is not an athlete, but has a gift for the game she plays.

2.Cindy qualifies for the 2008 Olympics.
    =Cindy has reached the qualification for the 2008 Olympics, and she will participate it. She is a professional sportswoman.

Hope it helps:)

Roddyboy55

England, English UK
    I beg to differ regarding the second phrase!

Cindy qualifies for (selection to) the 2008 Olympics, because she is born in the country she is competing for.
    In this example the word "qualifies" is comparable to an inherent right. For example - You are human, and this qualifies you (or you have a right to) decent treatment.

best wishes
    Rod