BE: religious terms of endearment for children

< Previous | Next >

jarabina

English - Scotland
Hi,

I'm translating some non-English dialogue where there is a reference to what is roughly equivalent to 'the little infant Jesus' and having grown up in a very atheist environment I am not very au fait with religious terms of endearment. Wondering if one of you could help?

I need a term used in British English. It is the mother talking and she is talking about the fact that she couldn't bear to be parted from her baby daughter, so she stayed at home with her. The line in question is her explanation for this fact. It goes, 'She is the littlest one, xxxxxxx (xxxxx= foreign word meaning 'the little infant Jesus'). 'The little infant Jesus' seems to ring hollow here for me. The only other thing that springs to mind is 'the wee Jesus that she is'.

Any ideas much appreciated!

• Andygc

British English
    It doesn't work in English, does it? I can't imagine any English-speaking Christian referring to a baby girl as an 'infant Jesus'. Many would think it blasphemous, and others would think it bizarre. I'd suggest that the only BE phrase that would serve is 'the little angel'. Idioms often don't translate.

jarabina

English - Scotland
    My thoughts entirely. However, I am reluctant to omit the religious reference for contextual reasons. Hence my hanging on in here for an Irish Catholic gem of a phrase or similar:D. I suspect I'll have to give up...

Thanks for your help all the same.

< Previous | Next >