be satisfied with the way things are going~

< Previous | Next >

jjshin

korean
86percent of the chinese people are now satisfied with the way things are going in theri country.

is it the same meaning of
1) satisfied with how things are~
or
2) satisfied with the way which things are going~

if 1) is right, the way is more appropriate than how.
Am I right?

• Elwintee

England English
    86percent [86% or Eighty-six percent (it is best to spell out numbers at the beginning of a sentence)] of the chinese [Chinese] people are now satisfied with the way things are going in theri [their] country.

is it the same meaning of [Does this mean the same as:]
    1) satisfied with how things are~ Yes
    or
    2) satisfied with the way which things are going~ Not grammatical. "the way in which" would be grammatical, but is not idiomatic".

if 1) is right, the way is more appropriate than how.
    Am I right?
    No, both mean the same. Personally I prefer 'the way' to 'how', but that's just me!

I have tried to help over this, also correcting a typo and other mistakes.

jjshin

korean
    Is it the same meaning of --> [Does this mean the same as:]
    You mean the first my sentence is wrong.
    I don't understand.
    Would you explain it?

Elwintee

England English
    Is it the same meaning of --> [Does this mean the same as:]
    You mean the first my sentence is wrong.
    I don't understand.
    Would you explain it?
    I'm sorry if my answer was unclear. The text in red is a correction of the previous sentence. Your sentence "Is it the same meaning of" is ungrammatical, I know what you mean to say but it has to be rephrased to make it correct and idiomatic. Do come back if this is still unclear. :)

Monkey F B I

English - USA
    I have to disagree with Elwintee saying that "...the way in which..." is not idiomatic. I believe that's the one I'd use in most cases, especially in writing.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Talking about a particular process, for example, I would be happy to use "... the way in which ...".
    But I agree with ElwinT that in this example, "... satisfied with the way in which things are going ..." sounds very odd indeed.

Elwintee

England English
    I have to disagree with Elwintee saying that "...the way in which..." is not idiomatic. I believe that's the one I'd use in most cases, especially in writing.
    Hi, Monkey. You're right to pull me up. I suppose when I say that something is not idiomatic I'm only judging by my own usage and what I hear around me - and there's a big old world out there!

jjshin

korean
    wow~

It's interesting to seeing your debating.
    But actually, I don't know the subtle differences of your talk

Anyway,

"It is the same meaning" is ungrammatical!

Why?

I think
    Subject + Verb + Object

It seems to be alright, doesn't it?

Nunty

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    Moderator Note:
    Please stick to the topic of this thread, "... the way things are going". You are welcome to open new threads for new questions (after checking for existing threads that discuss it).

< Previous | Next >