be slanted / leaning / tilted

mylittle_e

Chinese
Hello, teachers:

I read a blog from TRAVELCLEF.com, Your Go-To Guide To Accurate Tuning Of Your Ukulele
You'll know the string is accurately tuned when the needle is at the centre. If the needle is slanted to the left, the pitch is flat. If the needle is slanted to the right, the pitch is sharp.
111.jpg

Here are my questions:
(a) If the needle is slanted to the left.
(b) If the needle is leaning to the left.
(c) If the needle is tilted to the left.

In my opinion, all 3 options are correct, because the needle was compared to a vertical position.

Do you agree with me?

Thank you.

(it is tilted/leaning /sloping said "sloping" is correct when it is compared to a horizontal position)

• lingobingo

English - England
    Tilt, lean and slope do, in some contexts, have similar meanings. Is that what you're interested in? Or do you want to know which term is most appropriate to a ukulele?

Context is all…!

lingobingo

English - England
    Well yes, they're all correct inasmuch as something can be said to slant, lean or tilt to one side in relation to a vertical position. But those verbs have various other uses too.

Tilt is commonly used to describe a motion or angle of the head, or something accidentally veering from vertical (such as a chair tilting if you lean too far back on it).

Lean often describes a person leaning on someone else, or against something, for support. Or, for example, a garden fence might lean to one side.

And slant tends to be used in reference to something horizontal rather than vertical. For example, a field may be said to slant or slope down a hill.

Sweetboat

Korean
    When you hang a picture or painting on a wall, sometimes the left side is a litte down or the right side is a little down.

In that case, are these all fine?

1. The painting is slanted.
    2. The painting is slanted to the right. (meaning the right side is lower?)
    Raise the right side more.

Packard

USA, English
    The string is in tune when it is in the 12 o'clock position. If the needle veers to the 1 o'clock or the 11 o'clock positions you need to tune the string until the needle rests at the 12 o'clock position.

< Previous | Next >