be sorry/glad to do

moyeea

Chinese-China
Hello everyone,

if I'm helping my friends carry some books, can I say "I'm glad to help you carry these books."?

Besides, If I made my friend angry, can I say" I'm sorry to make you angry."?

Thanks so much!

• moyeea

Chinese-China
    Yes, you can. I'm sorry = I regret.
    But many people say "be sorry to do" means you are going to disturb someone, so you feel sorry. Instead, you should say "I'm sorry for making you angry"

Then how to explain "I'm sorry to hear that"

Thanks so much!

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    But many people say "be sorry to do" means you are going to disturb someone, so you feel sorry. Instead, you should say "I'm sorry for making you angry"...
    That is not true.

There are two different expressions:
    I'm sorry to disturb you means you are going to disturb someone.
    I'm sorry for disturbing you means you have already disturbed them.

However, since the fact that you are saying sorry means that you have already disturbed them (in order to apologise) the distinction is rather theoretical.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    "I'm sorry to make you angry" - I would use this during the time I was making someone angry.:confused: Or perhaps I am apologising for repeatedly making someone angry ("I'm sorry to make you angry all the time") :confused:

"I'm sorry I made you angry" - I would say this after having seen that the other person is angry at what I did or said.

"I'm sorry to disturb you, but I need to get past, so would you please make room for me?" - I say this before they are put to inconvenience.

"I'm sorry to hear that" is an idiomatic phrase, meaning "I've just heard you tell me that, and I'm sorry."

I've got to go into hospital - I'm sorry to hear that.

moyeea

Chinese-China
    That is not true.

There are two different expressions:
    I'm sorry to disturb you means you are going to disturb someone.
    I'm sorry for disturbing you means you have already disturbed them.

However, since the fact that you are saying sorry means that you have already disturbed them (in order to apologise) the distinction is rather theoretical.
    Thanks so much for your help!

<-----Additional questions removed by moderator (Florentia52)----->

Thanks so much!

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >