be speechless X get tongue-tied twisted

Cesinha

Portuguese(Brazil)
I have a question about the expressions "be speechless" and "get tongue-tied twisted".Which would be more appropriate to following context? Is there any difference?

She was speechless when her boyfriend asked her to marry.
She got tongue tied and twisted when her boyfriend asked her to marry.

• NLmarkSE

Dutch (the Nederlands)
    I would use 'tongue tied' and leave out the 'and twisted'.

Also, you can use either 'was' or 'got' in both cases, but they don't mean the same thing.

As for which one is better, I am not really sure, but I'd say that in the first case she is almost certainly happy about being asked to marry. In the latter, it could also mean that she was just very shocked and maybe didn't want to marry him.

owlman5

English-US
    "Speechless" is an ordinary word to use in this context: She was speechless when her boyfriend asked her to marry him.

"Tongue-tied" is also possible if you mean that she was speechless: She was tongue-tied when her boyfriend asked her to marry him.

I don't think it would help any to add "twisted" to "tongue-tied" in that sentence.

cross-posted

NLmarkSE

Dutch (the Nederlands)
    If she was happy, I'd just go with speechless. Tongue tied is certainly also possible but personally I would just prefer speechless in this case.

Cesinha

Portuguese(Brazil)
    My suggestion was a little tongue in cheek. I was trying to remember it. "Nonplussed" is very often used to mean other things now, for example not bothered or unimpressed. I'd avoid that word.
    The site dictionary.com says: "Ironically or as a joke". Well, considering there may be, marriage proposals in the form in a "prank". That's ok, "tongue in cheek".
    Thanks!

< Previous | Next >