be struck into populist coin

< Previous | Next >

ebrahim

Persian
Moreover, the same means that sectarians use to seal themselves off into elitist circles can be struck into populist coin, provided it achieves resonance.

On Hitler's Mein Kampf, Albrecht Koschorke

Does that mean the same means can be used by populists? Is that a common idiom?

• bibliolept

AE, Español
    That could certainly be the right interpretation. Think of "struck" as similar, literally and figuratively, to "reforging" or "reshaping."

"Strike" and "coin" here are used correctly, but these usages are not as common as perhaps they once were.

bibliolept

AE, Español
    I don't think rewriting is necessary, particularly in a more scholarly context. Another phrasing that would capture much of the meaning of the original — as I understand it — could be: "can be repurposed by populists..." That phrasing suggests a more substantial sort of change, but one could also simply use "reused" or even merely "adopted" without a substantial change in meaning or tone.

lingobingo

English - England
    I read it as meaning that the methods used by sectarians (to convince themselves of their beliefs) could also be turned to advantage in terms of popularism, making the people believe what you want them to believe.

kentix

English - U.S.
    The process of making a coin is to take a blank, usually round, piece of metal and "strike" it with a die (that has the coin design on its surface) to create the finished coin. You have taken a piece of metal of small value and turned it into something of much greater value.

So that's where the phrase comes from. So in this paragraph the raw material (the metal) is the means and it's made into something of value for the populists by striking it (adapting it) so that it becomes a valuable tool for the populists.

It has been struck into populist coin. It has been turned into something valuable (i.e. useful) for the populists. In my opinion you would only find this phrase used in academic and other highly literate works. It's not an everyday phrase.

< Previous | Next >