be (the) very efficient bussinesswomen [article with plural?]

humanroute

KOREA, KOREAN
ex) Do you want to be (the) very efficient bussinesswomen in Korea?

Is there 'the' in the right place? or, other articles should be in that point??
plz.. help me!!

• cropje_jnr

English - Australia
    Are you talking about a specific very efficient businesswoman in Korea? If not, then I think it would be best to use an indefinite article ('a' rather than 'the').

You must use one article or the other - it is not correct English without either. :)

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    (Psst, cropje, it's "businesswomen" in the plural, so should have no article.)

Last edited:

Arrius

English, UK
    Do you want to be (the) very efficient businesswoman in Korea?
    cropje jnr is right, but if you use the in the sense of the best or most important, your meaning will not be clear without raising your voice on the, or putting it in italics in writing. Compare: "Do you mean to say that your great-uncle was the Winston Churchill?" (As opposed to some non-entity with the same name).

Last edited:

ewie

English English
    (Psst, cropje, it's "busineswomen" in the plural, so should have no article.)
    (Psst, Cagey, it's businesswomen:D)
    Humanroute: can you please confirm whether the original question reads ...woman or ...women.

Last edited:

Loob

English UK
    Hi humanroute

I think the choice is between:

Do you want to be very efficient businesswomen? (no article)
    Do you want to be the most efficient businesswomen? (definite article).

humanroute

KOREA, KOREAN
    (Psst, cropje, it's "businesswomen" in the plural, so should have no article.)
    (Psst, Cagey, it's businesswomen:D)
    Humanroute: can you please confirm whether the original question reads ...woman or ...women.
    thanks.

The original text is this;
    Do you want to be (the) very efficient "business'women'" in Korea?

but I rewrote like this : "Do you want to be a very efficient businesswoman in Korea?" :)

Last edited:

ewie

English English
    Ah, then you (and Cagey, post #5) are right, and your teacher is wrong. Now then, your problem is: How do you tell your teacher he's wrong?:eek:

< Previous | Next >