BE: this is no more Dan Clark's bone than it is mine

Lark-lover

Arabic
Hi, wordreference members.

"...this is no more Dan Clark's bone than it is mine..." was said by a witness(but guilty) as to draw the coroner's attention away from him.
What I understand is that the witness said to confirm that the skeleton was beloning to someone els not the person concerned.

Does it mean:
This bone is not Dan Clark's. It it were so, it is mine; suggesting the impossibility of being so.

Any volunteer to explain the meaning of that phrase?

Source: The Trial and Life of Eugene Aram, author unknown, 1832

My thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • ewie

English English
    Hullo L-L. It basically means "This is definitely not Dan Clark's bone ... you might as well think it's my bone, and it's obviously not my bone because I have all my bones safely tucked away inside my body."

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    This is a slight twist on a rather common phrase. You may hear someone, perhaps an old woman, say "He likes to think he looks like Brad Pitt. He no more looks like Brad Pitt than I do."

Or:

They claim that dog is a purebred collie. That dog is no more a collie than I am!

se16teddy

English - England
    This is not my bone (obvious because all my bones are in my body). This is not Dan Clark's bone (this is what I am asserting).
    The statment "This is my bone" is false. The statement "This is Dan Clark's bone" is false.
    Both statements are equally false.
    The statement "This is Dan Clark's bone" is no more true than the statement "This is my bone".
    This is no more Dan Clark's bone than it is mine.

Man_from_India

Indian English
    "He no more looks like Brad Pitt than I do." = Neither he nor I looks like Brad Pitt.
    "...this is no more Dan Clark's bone than it is mine..." = "This bone is not mine nor is it Dan Clark's"

< Previous | Next >