be tight-lipped about home-developed ...

danielxu85

Mandarin Chinese
Do you think "tight-lipped" and "home-developed" have been used correctly in the following sentence? I think "tight-lipped" is used to describe the action of a person shutting his mouth, but does it mean "silent"? I haven't found the word "home-developed" in the dictionary. Do you think it could be understood by native speakers? Should I use "home-grown"? Any other problem with this sentence?

However, he was tight-lipped about the home-developed TD-SCDMA service, which is due to start trials in October, saying only that the parent company, China Mobile Communications Corp, would be announcing details.

• GuitarMaestro

USA English
    The comment is fine as it is. It says that he isn't saying anything (tight-lipped) about the TD-SCDMA service, which was developed internally by his company (home-developed,) as opposed to something invented elsewhere that he has either bought the rights to or copied.

GuitarMaestro

USA English
    Vachecow is exactly correct. Home-grown is a more common way of using grown, and internally developed is the more common way to use developed. Home-grown has a "folksy" flavor to it, and dorsn't always ring true for very high tech products. For example, it sounds odd to my ear to say that Iran has a "home-grown" nuclear industry.

< Previous | Next >