be tight-lipped about home-developed ...

Discussion in 'English Only' started by danielxu85, Mar 29, 2007.

1. danielxu85 Senior Member

Qingdao
    Mandarin Chinese
    Do you think "tight-lipped" and "home-developed" have been used correctly in the following sentence? I think "tight-lipped" is used to describe the action of a person shutting his mouth, but does it mean "silent"? I haven't found the word "home-developed" in the dictionary. Do you think it could be understood by native speakers? Should I use "home-grown"? Any other problem with this sentence?

However, he was tight-lipped about the home-developed TD-SCDMA service, which is due to start trials in October, saying only that the parent company, China Mobile Communications Corp, would be announcing details.

2. GuitarMaestro Senior Member

Tucson, Arizona
    USA English
    The comment is fine as it is. It says that he isn't saying anything (tight-lipped) about the TD-SCDMA service, which was developed internally by his company (home-developed,) as opposed to something invented elsewhere that he has either bought the rights to or copied.

3. danielxu85 Senior Member

Qingdao
    Mandarin Chinese
    Thanks, Maestro! Am I right that I could say "home-developed/home-grown technology" and they mean the same thing?

4. vachecow Senior Member

Pennsylvania
    USA English
    Yes, they both mean the same thing.

5. GuitarMaestro Senior Member

Tucson, Arizona
    USA English
    Vachecow is exactly correct. Home-grown is a more common way of using grown, and internally developed is the more common way to use developed. Home-grown has a "folksy" flavor to it, and dorsn't always ring true for very high tech products. For example, it sounds odd to my ear to say that Iran has a "home-grown" nuclear industry.